headerphoto
History PDF Print E-mail

 

Quemigny sur Seine is first mentioned in history around 1099.



Around 1190 a castle was built and the first known owners Savary de Fontaine - de Quemigny Aimone. Over the years many families possessed the castle. Late 17th century, around the time that the Ferme de Grand Pré (also known as Forges de Grand Pre) was built, the castle was owned by Henriette de Gand (daughter of Joachim de Gand) and her second husband, Claude Viard. Claude Viard has been buried in the little Church of Quemigny.


Les Forges (or La Ferme) Grand Pre was probably built around 1700. The farm and its ponds should be owned by the Marquis of Mont Mort Castle for a long time. He (and his wife 19 years younger, Josephine Anne Alexandrine Guenichon) would also have been the owner of the mill with sawmill at La Roche.


From the original fortress, there only remains the tower (donjon). In 1743, Louis Bichot-Morel de Corberon bought the domain and builds the castle, preserved until today. After WWII, the castle was sold to the family Hochdoerffer, who lived at that time in Africa on their plantation. Their granddaughter and her husband have been living in the castle since 1999, and they refurbished the whole castle extensively .


The history of Quemigny happens around the castle, that was closely related to the castle of Duesme. About Les Forges de Grand Pré and the mill, we didn't find many facts. We bought the farm from the family Chauvot, who has rented it to the family Flajollet for a long time. Apparently the family Chauvot bought the land and buildings in the late 19th century from one of the Marquise de Mont Mort's heirs.


The Marquise would had a walkingtrail, starting at the castle, the first dam wall, along the second, passing the farm to the mill at La Roche. This route has been used by the Marquise to inspect her properties. Apparently on our property a kind of huntinghous has been build, above the water. It stayed always cool so they used it as food storage too. Till today there is an easement on the watercourse, benefitting the castle. This means that our property is an offshoot of the Barterette (stream), led to the castle, used to supply the castleponds.

 

Always welcome!


Filip, Sofie,
Celine,Julie,Delphine.